Monday, January 24, 2011

New York New York?


Monday's back, which means I'm back at work! Slightly bored again, I wish I had passports rather then visas, not enough people are in need of a visa in January. Friday went a lot quicker, my collegue took a day off so I had to do passports, so there were plenty of people coming in, all for me, so time went a lot quicker!

I've been pondering going some place cool this year, some place outside of Europe, and I came up with New York! Initially I wanted to go to Australia, but as I just started working and it being that far, you'd need two weeks definately, and that would be very costly. The flight alone is like 1000 euros, so you'd probably squander another 1000 by the time you get back. So I think I might put Australia aside for future travel. So with Australia off the table I was thinking about going somewhere outside of Europe, but affordable, but still an impressive trip. My cousin is going to New York this year so I thought, I could do that! All I needed to do is convince a friend to come along, as travelling on ownsie is not something I'd like to do. I've been trying to persuade a good friend of mine who also has the travel bug to come along, and yesterday we had a call and she is up for it! Hooray, finally I get to cross the big ocean! Not sure when exactly I should go, if there are any New Yorkers out there reading this post I'd love some tips! It will probably end up being summer though, or maybe September. I hope I can find a return flight for under 500 euros, supposedly it can be done, but I haven't found one yet. Think I should book soon though, as prices tend to go up the later you do it.
Also pondering if I should book a hostel or a small hotel. Hostel is cheapest, but remembering the Irish hostel experience, I'm not so enthousiastic about that idea.

Last year I went to Dublin with the same friend, went to a hostel to keep things cheap (as I was still poor and unemployed), so ended up sharing a room with a whole bunch of other girls. You'd think not the end of the world, you get to meet fun people, and true, you do! But sleeping in the same room with people you don't know can have some unpleasant factors. As:
- Loud snorers , believe me if you sleep near that you almost want to kill that person, especially after a long day of wandering
- People going out returning totally plastered and falling all over the place (that maaay have been me at some point :p)
- People accidently turning on the light right next to your head in the middle of the night
-People leaving really early for a flight or something, packing things and showering and drying their hair for ages at 5 o'clock in the morning
- Realising you're the last one in the shower and all you get is freezing cold water

Those are just a few of the fun things that can happen when you go to a hostel. But to be fair it's usually only around 20 euro a night, which is really cheap, so you can't expect much luxury. Hotel would be nice, but I'd rather not spend a fortune on that. And my friend has already been on a trip in December, and lives in an apartment alone, so she would like to keep it as cheap as possible. If anyone knows a cheap hotel in NY feel free to let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm very excited though, NY is so cool, my first far away trip! I do prefer the countryside, but to see all those famous sights I will have no problem with the citylife for a week (that's how long I think will be needed to see most of what I want to see)

Here's a little list of all the things that are on my must-see list:

- Statue of Liberty
- Ellis island + immigration museum
- ferry-ride to take pics of the skyline at night
- Central park (when I get tired of the city madness)
- fifth avenue (for the shops!)
- Times square
- all the cool buildings like the Chrysler building, Empire state, that special corner one with the weird name
- National History museum, the Met, Moma too possibly

and some more parks here and there and probably a lot more as we wander about! So that'll be plenty to fill a week!
YAY

I hope nothing prevents it from happening, cause I'm often unlucky in that way! But it's looking good, so hopefully this year I'll get to take a bite out of the Big Apple!

No comments:

Post a Comment