Saturday, January 22, 2011

Geekyness

Hooray it's Saturday! I enjoyed the lack of alarm this morning so much! Unfortunately the weekend is way too short! just one more day of sleeping in :( In hindsight college was a pretty sweet life after all in spite of the exam stress and the looong lectures.

Thought I'd write a little something about my insane love for all things fantasy. As I mentioned before I read a lot, sometimes two a week, if I got some really good books. Most of the books that I own are fantasy books, somehow after reading Lord of the Rings for the first time at 15, I was completely hooked the genre. I love getting lost in a different world, where magical things happen. I love the heroic tales of love and battle, exciting quests, unusual encounters.. If I have a good book, I could read all day non-stop. Some of my favorite authors are, J.R.R. Tolkien (of course, you aren't a true fantasy geek until you have read and loved the brilliance of Tolkien, the founder of all fantasy really), Juliet Marillier (I'll mention her again in a seperate post, her books are all just so beautiful, I really recommend them!), Trudi Canavan, Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris, Terry Brooks, Jacqueline Carey.. Of course there are many more that I have read books of and loved, but I can't remember them all. But if you like fantasy and could use some hints, feel free to ask me, I have many to recommend :D

My love for fantasy doesn't stop at books, you should see my room. (Not right now, its kinda messy :p) I have drawings, made by friends who draw amazingly, of elves, a mermaid and I collect little statues of fairies (hey if guys can collect model cars, I can collect fairies :p, don't judge!)
I also looove going to the fantasy fair in Holland, which takes place every year on castle grounds in April. There are loads of stands with all sorts of fantasy related items, costume contests, battle reenactments, authors and actors come to give autographs, there is all sorts of folk music going on, there's often horses, birds of prey shown and you can even hold them on your arms, which is really cool. You can also drink mead like in the olden days, it's a wine-like drink but made of honey, reeeeally sweet and sticky, it's an acquired taste, I wasn't that fond of it initially.
Lots of people are dressed up, in fantasy characters or beings, or in medieval outfits. Of course I too dress up! I looove doing it, which probably really makes me a geek, but it's so much fun! Here's some pics of me posing around in my forest elf outfit!






Notice the ears! they were hell to take off, the glue really sticks! but you can't be an elf without the ears! It was a really beautiful day for April, we were all really lucky, because elfs and other creatures with umbrella's and jackets would have looked slightly lame (or to you perhaps lamer :p)

I hope I can go again this year, with a better dress (a.k.a. more expensive)

Other European fantasy lovers, really check out this fair, it's a lot of fun. It's called the Elf Fantasy Fair, and it's in Haarzuilens in Holland.

I know fantasy is not for everyone, nor is dressing up, but it's just part of who I am, I love it, I guess it's all about escaping and creating a different more exciting world in your head!

Now off to reality, going to my cousin's for a hopefully nice dinner. You hear me cousin, better be good! I'm a picky eater.

Enjoy your saturday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment