Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tears at the consular office


It's pretty hectic at the consular office today (can't find a passport aaaah), but I freed some time to write a little blogpost :)
This morning I had my first person crying! A guy nonetheless! I must say I was rather gobsmacked and didn't really know what to say, you don't get a lot of crying people here! The story was that this young guy applied for a visa to visit his girlfriend in Ireland for her birthday. Unfortunately I saw that his passport wasn't valid long enough, which means no visa. When I told him when he came by this morning he was so upset! Guy pretty much begged me to do something to allow him to go, and got all teary eyed saying he had to go, his girlfriend was really expecting him to be there. And he also told me he couldn't go last time because he didn't know he needed a visa, and she was really upset, and if it happened again she would break up with him and so on. At this point he had his head in hands, big tears rolling down.

What's a girl to do! Poor softie me couldn't be a hardass and tell him rules are rules, so I asked my boss to do something and we issued him a short visa, but told him he might get stopped at the airport. So it's his risk. But I couldn't just send him away, the poor guy loves his girlfriend, and I'm all for love. I live to please! Hope he gets into Ireland poor guy, don't want immigration to stand in the way of happiness.

Not that I really believe they will work out, I had my long distance experiences, and at that age, still studying, years away of possibly moving to each other when college is over.. Long distance is just not possible if you're not planning on living in the same country in the foreseeable future. And waiting for months to see each other is really really not fun. The hellos are amazing, but the goodbyes.. (think about a movie goodbye scene at an airport and you get the picture) I know some people who ended up together after a long distance relationship, but they always moved to each other after at least a year. Several years waiting and waiting and missing each other and feeling lonely, and being just 19-20 years old, is just too difficult to handle.

But of course I hope poor crying Columbian boy gets to have his Irish girlfriend. I love a happy ending.

Now back to my crisis at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment