Saturday, May 14, 2011

On first kisses, and other firsts


I don't know about you, but seems to me that first kisses are generally not as amazing as we imagine it to be. Before it actually happens you think it's going to be this amazing romantic experience with someone really special. Birds will sing, fireworks will shoot up..and all that crap. Well..I think I am right to say that for about 90% of us the first kiss is weird, unromantic, confusing and not that great!

So not:


But:



I was 14 and a half and it was the 18th of February 2001. Yes I still remember the exact date! You see, my friend Keshia and I had our first kiss within a week of each other, and my parents were renewing the wallpaper at the time, so we wrote down the dates on the wall :p, aah to be 14. Two years ago my parents pulled off the wallpaper again and there it was!
My first kiss was with a guy from school, a year younger, and quite hunky looking. Me and Keshia would often go to the swimming pool with my parents and he'd be there. My mom would always mock us for our guy ogling at the edge of the pool, rather than actually swimming. Well, you can already guess it, my first kiss was at the swimming pool, just by the water slide. Romantic setting, I must say. It was also for truth or dare, even better. I had no idea how kissing (and I'm not talking about the MWAH kind of kiss here) actually worked. A friend had described it as "just keep your mouth open and circle that tongue around". Right. Circling..
Well that's exactly what me and "Sean" did. Circling. It was like kissing a washing machine. It was strange, awkward (about 5 people were watching us, as it was truth or dare- extra romance!) and I had my eyes wide open and kept thinking "How long am I supposed do to this? Are you supposed to keep your mouth open the whole time?"..

So yes, my first kiss was not very mindblowing. Also, Keshia was jealous because she liked him too. But she had had her first kiss the week before and I wanted to have my first kiss too. Sigh, peer pressure! Why couldn't I have just waited a bit longer, for a slightly better scenario. Although my second kiss with an actual boyfriend wasn't that good either, I was still stuck in the circling routine :D. Took a few tries to realise you're allowed to actually close your mouth :p and do other things besides circling around. I blame my friend for her really crappy kissing advice ! But I got the hang of it eventually. I loved how at that age (in my generation anyway, let's not get into the current one's eagerness to get all firsts over and done with as soon as they're out of primary school) you had these hour-long make out sessions, nothing but kissing, and it was totally amazing. People don't really do that much anymore once all the other things are open for business, I do miss it sometimes. I love a good kiss :)

How about you? Is there actually someone out there with one of those fairytale-like first kisses as we all imagined it would be like?

Other firsts were also not very great. They were all awkward and confusing, but that's probably a given. You really have no idea what you're supposed to be doing, and if you're doing it wrong, or oh my god what the hell is that. There is something to be said about the right age though, when you're just a silly adolescent you're mostly just doing it to know what it's like, or because everyone else is doing it, rather then having this profound intimate moment with someone. Also you're probably less embarrassed about everything, and will actually have had some Sex ED and are not as likely to not bother with protections, because really what are the odds!

Overall, not a big fan of firsts really :D Just too darn confusing. Another plus for being grown-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment