Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dubbing or subtitling























Watching films just at home or going to the cinema has always been one of my favourite things to do. Luckily, I have parents who love going to the cinema, so I had my first cinema experience when I was about four years old. I saw my first real-person film at 6, it was Mrs. Doubtfire and I thought it was hilarious(who doesn't! gotta love the part with the social worker where he kept changing back and forth from man to woman, and dropped his mask on the street, ah the memories). AND it was subtitled.



In Belgium we always subtitle and not dubb, unless it's a movie for kids. I think this is far better then the horrors of dubbing in European countries as France and Germany, they ALWAYS dubb. Who wants to hear Johnny Depp with a weird French or German voice, it's dreadful. A voice is such an important part of being a good actor or actress, changing a famous actor's voice to some random person's voice just ruins the experience. Not that everyone here speaks fluent English or something. I had the luck of having a mom who's not very fond of Flemish series, so we always watched series or films that were English-spoken. Because of this I learned English very quickly and it has always been my favourite language, and my goal was to learn to speak it fluently. Which I hope I have now mastered :D


Subtitling is really no big deal. I sometimes read comments on sites like IMDB by people stating I did not go to the movies to read! I don't get that, does it take that much energy? And is it not better to be familiar with different languages, and not always hear your own. Also, for kids it's a great way to learn to read faster. Of course for really little ones, dubbing is good, so they can understand what's going on, but once you can read there is no need for it. I always enjoy watching foreign films in other languages, like Spanish or Chinese. Having to read the subtitles does not make the film experience any less.













One of my favourite films, Pan's labyrinth, is in Spanish and I can't imagine it being dubbed to English for example. It's set in Spain during the Spanish civil war, and hearing the actors speaking Spanish just sets the atmosphere of the film just right. You should really see this film if you haven't yet. It's really amazing, recognized as one of the 100 best films ever made. It is a mix of the brutality and horror of the civil war and the imagination of a little girl who sees fantasy come to life. Guillermo Del Torro is the director, he's brilliant. A lot of people apparantly made the mistake of taking their kids to it, because it has a fantasy element, but it's really gruesome sometimes, torture scenes etc., so don't think your kids, you'll traumatise them :D Amazing film, great acting, one to watch several times.


My parents did take me to the Thin Red Line when I was about 9, my brother was 6!, and we survived, although the severed body shots were slightly shocking :p. I know in the US you probably can't get in those films because of the R-rated thing, we have it too, but you can get in if a parent takes you. I wasn't that scared to be honest, so maybe we're being too overprotective.
















My favourite film, as fantasy geek, is of course Lord of the rings. Best fantasy film every made! It was so impressive to see it in the cinema, beautiful rendition of the book, absolutely perfect! I've watched it many times naturally.












I also like dramas, although I'm a crybaby during emotional scenes, but I like seeing something that moves me and makes me think. Saddest film I ever saw was Dancer in the dark, a musical with Bjork, everyone I know who watched it cried, even guys confessed getting teary-eyed. Beautiful alternative film, but heart-breaking.




I also really liked The lovely bones, also by Peter Jackson, very undeserving of the harsh reviews in the US I thought. It was beautifully rendered, but really sad too, as it's about a 13 year old girl in sorta the inbetween place before heaven, talking about her murder and the aftermath for her family. Quite scary for parents to watch, my cousin who has a little girl, was very emotional about it. It's also a rendition of a book. The book I haven't read but I heard it's even more awful, as the attack, rape and murder are brutally described there, the film doesn't show anything. You just know she gets murdered, that's all. It's for the best, Peter Jackson said it's horrible enough for a girl to be murdered and nobody needs or would want to see the actual event. Good call.


I don't like romantic comedies, they are so predictable and insanely corny. One I did enjoy was How to lose a guy in ten days, I laughed my ass off. Very funny, nothing amazing, but makes for a nice evening in front of the telly. My favourite romantic film is Moulin Rouge, I do like me a musical!, and the songs are so catchy and beautiful, and I love the story and the sad ending. Great film, right up my alley!


What I also enjoy is a nice British costume film! Like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre.. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it very much. A great recent one is THe Duchess with Keira Knightley, amazing costume film, great story, really a must-watch for anyone who likes these kind of films. The young Victoria is great too!


I've seen quite a few films to be honest! So if you need any pointers feel free to ask :D unless you love films as American Pie or Scary Movie, then go away, you have horrible taste in films :p

No comments:

Post a Comment